Hariyali Teej 2024
When is Hariyali Teej in 2024?
Hariyali Teej For New Delhi, India
Tritiya Tithi Begins at 19:54:43 on August 6, 2024
Tritiya Tithi Ends at 22:08:01 on August 7, 2024
The third day of the Shukla Paksha of the Shravan month is called Hariyali Teej or Shravani Teej. As per the English Calendar, the festival befalls in the month of July or August.
The Teej festival commemorates the women and their spirit of producing offsprings. As the season of Monsoon commences, Mother Earth is covered with green hued foliage and fragrant flora all around, the women dance and swing their way to zeal and celebration of their abundant life.
The day is celebrated around the country by organizing cultural fairs and processions of the Goddess Parvati, blessing her devotees as she goes by the town.
The married women have a special importance for this festival in their lives, as this festival represents fertility, beauty and charm of the mutual love and affection, as envisaged in the marital bond of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati.
Traditions surrounding Hariyali Teej
For all the newly married ladies, the Sawan Teej holds utmost importance. On the eve of Hariyali Teej, they are called back to their parents’ home to celebrate the festival with zeal and fervour!
1. A day prior to the hariyali teej, ‘Sinjara’ is celebrated. This day begins with the tradition of the in-laws gifting clothes, jewelry, cosmetics, henna, and sweets to their daughter-in-law.
2. This day gives importance to the application of henna on the girls palms. The intricate patterns and designs of the henna on the palms bring joy to their faces. Application of a red colored liquid (Alta) on the feet symbolises the sacred nuptial bond.
3. On Hariyali Teej, women touch the feet of their mother-in-law to take their blessings, and in return give them a gift. In case, the mother-in-law is not present for any reason, the same can be performed with the eldest sister-in-law from the husband’s side or any other elderly lady.
4. The women dress up nicely, with beautifully adorned garments and jewelry to worship the Goddess Parvati.
5. They enjoy this festival by swinging and playing in the green fields, relishing the bounties of nature. Folk songs are sung and women prance around dancing to its tunes.
Buy the auspicious Gauri Shankar Rudraksha to imbue your life with Mahadev and Maa Parvati’s blessings.
Hariyali Teej Pujan Vidhi
According to the Shiv Purana, on the day of Hariyali Teej we celebrate the reconciliation of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. Women laud Mahadeva and Maa Parvati to get the maximum benefits in their married life.
1. On this day tidy your house and decorate it with ornamental flowers to make it look festive. Construct an earthen altar and place the idols of Lord Shiva, Shivalinga, Lord Ganesha, Goddess Parvati and her friends on it.
2. After this perform a sixteen step ritual, ‘Shodash upchar’ for the deities.
3. The pujan for Hariyali teej goes on for the whole night and in this duration women keep vigil at night and engage in devotional music and chanting.
Three things to abstain from on Hariyali Teej
Women must pledge to refrain from doing these three things in life on the day of Shravani Teej. The three things are:
1. Cheating on your Husband
2. Lying straight through the teeth and misbehaving
3. Desist from humiliating or creating problems for others.
Hariyali Teej: According to the Scriptures
The Hindu religion is a peculiar religion that associates any story or a tale with its myriad of festivals. Commemorated on the sacred occasion of the reconciliation of Goddess Parvati and Lord Shiva, the festival celebrates the love between the divine couple, and also the fertile bond that exists between the two. As per the story, Goddess Parvati engaged in severe penance for getting Lord Shiva as her husband. After 108 years of this absolute penance, Goddess Parvati was able to get Lord Shiva as her cherished husband.
It’s been said that Lord Shiva accepted Maa Parvati as his wife on the third day of the Shukla Paksha of Shravan month. Since that auspicious day, the divinity has blessed the day for a pious day for the married women.
Due to this, the day of Hariyali Teej holds a special significance in the lives of the married couple in the anticipation of a joyous and abundant marital life!
AstroSage wishes all its readers a brightly hued Hariyali Teej!