When is Dhanteras in 2020?
Dhanteras Muhurat For New Delhi, India
Dhanteras Muhurat :
17:34:06 to 18:01:28
0 Hour 27 Minute
Pradosh Kaal :
17:28:16 to 20:07:16
Vrishabha Kaal :
17:34:06 to 19:29:57
Celebrated on the thirteenth day of the Kartik month of the Dark Lunar fortnight (Krishna Paksha), Dhanteras graces the lives of the masses with affluence. Known by two names, Dhantrayodashi and Dhanvantri Jayanti, the festival lauds the discovery of the ‘Amrit Kalash’ by the Father of Ayurveda, God Dhanvantri by churning the sea. When the Lord appeared out of the sea, he had a pot full of ‘elixir’, due to which we are advised to buy pots and pans (utensils) on the day of Dhan Trayodashi. The festival comes prior to Diwali and heralds the oncoming days of merriment.
Scriptures related to Dhanteras
1. Dhanteras befalls on the 13th day of the Kartik month. The day is also called ‘Udayvyapini Trayodashi’, which is the day when the thirteeth date of hindu calendar starts with the timing of the sunrise. If the above situation is completed, only then the festival of Dhanteras is celebrated that day.
2. On the day of Dhanteras during the Pradosh kaal, it is believed that donating lamps to Lord Yamraj will bring auspiciousness to you and your kins. If the Triyodashi Tithi extends till the next day after sunrise, then the Dhanteras is to be celebrated on that day.
Dhantrayodashi Puja Vidhi
The best gift that mankind has is of good health and prosperity. The festival of Dhanteras eulogizes health, well being and abundance. With the incarnation of the Father of Ayurveda, Lord Dhanvantri, this festival came into its being. As the thought expresses, Dhanteras is celebrated to amass a long life, full of success, wealth and luxury. A healthy being is the abode of a healthy mind, that flourishes despite numerous complications.
1. On the day of Dhanteras, Dhanvantari, according to scriptures, should be worshipped with Shodashopchara. Shodashopchara is a ritual that consists of 16 different procedures of worship. This includes, Aasan, Padya, Arghya, Aachaman (scented drinking water), bathe, clothing, jewelry, scents (saffron and sandalwood), flowers, dhoop, deep, Naivaidya, Aachman (pure water), betel leaf containing the offerings, Aarti, and parikrama.
2. On the day of Dhanteras, it’s a ritual to buy silver and gold utensils. It is known, that these utensils play a major role in harbingering riches in your household.
3. Lights and lamps adorn the front gate and open areas of the house on this festival, as it marks the oncoming event Diwali.
4. On the day of Dhanteras, lamps are proffered in front of Lord Yamraj, to put an end to the threat and phobia surrounding the Lord of Death.
AstroSage wishes all its readers a very prosperous Dhanteras! May your life shine bright with all the right colors of health, wealth, and abundance.