Kartik Purnima Vrat 2024
When is Kartik Purnima in 2024?
Kartik Purnima Vrat Muhurat For New Delhi, India
Poornima Tithi Begins at 06:21:14 on November 15, 2024
Poornima Tithi Ends at 03:00:12 on November 16, 2024
Purnima in Shukla Paksha of Kartik month is called Kartik Purnima. On this day, Lord Shiva killed the demon, Tripurasura, therefore this Purnima is also known as Tripuri Purnima. If Krittika Nakshatra falls on this day, it is called Mahakartiki. If it is Bharani Nakshatra, then a person is rewarded with auspicious results. And if it is Rohini Nakshatra on this day, the importance of Kartik Purnima increases tenfold.
It is believed that Lord Vishnu took Matsya Avatar on the eve of Kartik Purnima. Lighting lamps and donating things after Ganga Snan (bathing in Ganga river) on this day, give results equivalent to the results of ten Yagyas. Kartik Purnima has also been called a very auspicious festival by the Gods (Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, Angira and Aaditya).
Kartik Purnima Vrat Rituals
Ganga Snan, lighting lamps (Deep Daan), Hom (Aahuti), Yagya and worshipping Gods during Kartik Purnima hold great significance. The rituals that are performed on this day are as follows:
● Wake up in the morning and vow for the fast. Take a bath in a sacred river, lake or pond.
● One must worship the six creations named Shiva, Santati, Priti, Anusuiya and Kshama during moonrise.
● By fasting and donating a bull in the night of Kartik Purnima, one attains Shiv Pada.
● By donating a cow or an elephant, a horse, a chariot (Ratha) or Ghee on this day rewards a person with increased property.
● Donation of a sheep results in lessening the malefic effects of Yogas through planetary alignments.
● From Kartik Purnima onwards, if a person fasts for every Purnima and sing devotional songs (Jagrans) during that night, his/her all wishes comes true.
● Devotee performing the fast of this Purnima, must perform the Havan and feed the needy and poor on this day.
● A person should conclude the fast by bathing (Kartik Snan) in Yamuna river and then, lighting the lamps (Deep Daan) while worshipping Radha-Krishna.
Importance of Kartik Purnima
Purnima in the month of Kartik is considered among the most pious Purnimas in a year. Donation and charity deeds performed on this day offer virtuous results. On Kartik Purnima, if Moon is in Krittika Nakshatra and Sun in Vishaka Nakshatra, it creates Padmak Yoga which is very rare. And if it is Moon and Jupiter in Krittika Nakshatra on this day, the Purnima is called Maha Purnima. By celebrating Tripura Utsava and lighting lamps (Deep Daan) in the evening of Kartik Purnima, the pains and sufferings of previous life ends.
Story of Kartik Purnima
In ancient period, there was a demon named Tripura. He performed very difficult austerity (Ghor Tapasya) in Prayagraj for one lakh years. Seeing his devotion, all living creatures and deities (Devta) got scared. So, Devtas sent nymphs (Apsara) to rupture his Tapasya, but it was useless. Pleased with the tenacity (Tapasya) of Tripurasura, Lord Brahma appeared before him and asked him to make a wish.
Tripurasura wished, I should neither be killed by a deity nor a human. Brahma ji granted him the wish, after which, the demon got fearless and began to torture everyone. Not only that, but he even went to Kailash to conquer it. There he had a battle with God Shiva, and in the end, the God killed him with the help from God Brahma and God Vishnu.